REPURPOSING,REWORKING, REDOING CLOTHES! TUNIC TO DRESS

MONDAY, DECEMBER 6, 2010 

REPURPOSING, REWORKING, REDOING CLOTHES! 

REDO #1 TUNIC TO DRESS


So, I've finally been inspired to do something for myself on a regular basis.
 Its low budget, takes a "little" bit of time and some creativity. 
Thanks to Marisa Lynch of NEW DRESS A DAY 
(who I've been following for quite some time), I've gotten the nudge I need to get to work!
Check out her journey, she rocks! 
 I'll be attempting to REDO clothes that don't work for ME in their original state 
and make something that will.




For years I've hemmed my hubby's pants (he's on the shorter side lol) and my own, corrected small things like missing buttons or small tears and occasionally altered my tops/jackets with new buttons, dye, etc. 
(Thanks mom for having a sewing machine while growing up and attempting to teach me lol, never got it till I was a "grown up")

I'm no expert by any means, don't know how to do any fancy stitches
 or have any training except through trial and error.

So me, my $80 Brother sewing machine, seam ripper & threads are gonna be spending lots of time together.
 I'm hoping to turn out something "new" each weekend, 
using items I purchase at my fave thrift store or clearance rack, 
show a before/after pic w/ my little phone camera ( my digital doesn't exist anymore, so forgive the poor quality) and show where the alterations were made.

Here's to my 1st official REDO!


$2 TUNIC
BEFORE:
 It was a tunic with a round collar, long slits on each side
and ribbon on flared sleeves and bottom hem.
a) Ribbon I'd like to remove from garment 
b)Change collar
 c)Shorten sleeves
 d) Close sides to make a dress and take in slightly

Pretty ribbon but not a great match.
 Plus it seems like an overload on patterns, so its getting removed.
 I'll be saving it for future use.

AFTER:
I removed all ribbon, made a V neck by cutting straight down the middle, turned inside out & ironed down the edges for easier hemming.
Then I shortened the sleeves to elbow length, ironed & hemmed those down too, 
closed the side slits and took it in on both sides (that took a few try's).

I paired it with my black boots, belt, tank, necklace & earrings, 
most of which I've picked up at my fave thrift store.
 I wanted to keep it simple since the pattern was ENOUGH.

Collar close up!
 I cut too much so had to put a tank under. 
Gotta say for my 1st REDO and the most I've done to any garment, it came out pretty good! I got lots of compliments, so I'd say it was a success!

///////////////////

2014 OUTFIT RESTYLE


Worn with sweatshirt top: Target clearance/ black booties & bracelet: thrifted/
Chain necklace: gift/ earrings: can't remember

Comments

Popular Posts