REDO #5 40'S WRAP DRESS

 MONDAY, DECEMBER 27, 2010 




THRIFTED WRAP DRESS, FIXING NARROW WAIST, FIXING PLUNGING NECKLINE


Since this was the holiday weekend I worked on the the dress earlier in the week so not to conflict with my baking/cooking/celebrating/eating......haha.


 My plans were to close the wrap, be modest in the neck area and still increase waist size. I also needed to shorten length as it was too long. THIS TIME I got a lot of process pics!



WRAP DRESS $2.00 thrifted

 I found this dress at "my" store, it reminded me of the 40's. 



I didn't like the "wrap" feature which was barely attached with 2 fasteners, not safe enough for me, any wind could create a mishap lol. Plus even IF I had liked the wrap, the waist was extremely too small and the V neck was too deep.

Waist hem: opening up sides

I opened sides of R & L to make an attached center seam.
 I had to turn it inside out, carefully follow creases and attach both sides with pins for sewing. I then followed the crease to make a new stitch


I took off about 4 in and reserved material for later use

Redo's, dress redo, thrifted dress

AFTER:
 a) I had one solid piece with no more wrap, it extended the waist nicely. I started the stitch about 3 1/2 inches from the top all way to the bottom of dress.
 b) I tried on dress to see what length would work & ended up removing 4ish inches. I turned inside out, ironed new hem and sewed.
 c) The dress had side loops but no belt so I used the extra material from the cut and sewed into a belt. I wore my black & silver necklaces (knotted), silver earrings, bangles & ring. Sheer stockings & black boots.


TOP CLOSE UP:
 The V neck was still a little too open for me and I didn't want to have to wear a tank. I made a new stitch using the material that would have been folded under neck(x pattern), 
extended it out a bit and sewed it down to where I had first started sewing.
 On the other side (leaves) I sewed a seam next to the original one to "match" both sides w/ 2 seams.


BELT: 
I had the 4 inches of leftover material. I opened up one seam to make a long piece and folded over in half (length)then tucked in edges for sewing.

////////////////////

Comments

Popular Posts