TAN HOODED COAT

TUESDAY, MARCH 6, 2012


Its a beautiful but WINDY day.
Any attempt to keep my hair in a nice, pulled back pony-tail failed, as the wind just lifts up my layered strands and slaps it to the right and left.
Kind of like a comb over haha.

Its days like this that I reserve the right to pull it back.
Who wants tangled, wind blown, hair?
Not me :)

Although its starting to warm up a tad, the wind is enough to warrant a coat or jacket.
 This is what I worked on this week.


OLD NAVY WOOL COAT-  $7.48 thrifted
BUTTONS-  $1.97 2x (6 in each) Walmart
RIBBONS- $2.00 & $2.97 Walmart


HOODED COAT REDO
Front/Back



BEFORE
Its REALLY, REALLY, boring but in great condition!

I'd been looking for a nice, hooded coat for a really long time.
None that were the "right" price until this one :)
Its more than my typical purchase price for a thrifted item but well worth it.

I know what you're thinking,
I'm NOT cheap.
NOT even FRUGAL.
I consider myself a wise shopper.
There IS a difference.
God's blessed this family with so much, we always strive to be good stewards.
PLUS the thrill is in the hunt lol
I get WHAT I WANT....in time.
As I say, patience pays :)

Of course, if our kiddo's need something I can't find at a thrift store,
 we don't hesitate to purchase new.
Glad we cleared that up haha

HOODED COAT REDO

1. I removed all the buttons 1st
2. I then cut a tiny bit on the button openings & restitched (didn't have exact color).
The new buttons were larger and colorful!
 3. New buttons!
Each baggy of buttons had 2 turquoise, 1 avocado green, 2 dark blue & 1 bluish mint.

 I went with blues. Not sure why, maybe cause they resemble peacock colors?
Ya, I'm not surprised either, Peacocks ARE my favorite bird

HOODED COAT REDO

4. After sewing buttons on, I worked on the sleeve's by removing the "belt" around them & unstitching where they'd been attached.
5. I found 2 ribbons I liked, cut enough length to tuck into sleeve hole and pinned the thinner one onto the wider one. I then sewed. Repeat.
6. I fed ribbon through loops and held ends evenly and underneath with my thumb and finger.
7. I then pulled ends out from underneath, while still holding them and sewed together. Repeat.
I then tucked sewed ends into the small opening where the original belt was, pinned and sewed.


HOODED COAT REDO

8. I then cut enough ribbon to line the hood and tuck into the unstitched openings I had created at the neck area.
9. Last, I removed the flaps from the bottom pockets and sewed the pocket opening.
I then unstitched the sides of the pockets, sewed the edges of the pocket itself and created myself some side opening pockets.
YAHOOOOO!


REDOS, COAT REDO, THRIFTED COAT, DIY BUTTONS
AFTER

Someone at church said it looked like a Pocahontas coat haha

What do you think?!

Ok, not of my outfit.
I was so tired on Sunday, I didn't bother taking any photos.
This is Monday's clothes, I was headed out to work at our church's private school.
Its my typical attire,
Jeans and staff shirt.

I thought about taking up the length a few inches but left it as is.
Maybe in the future.

HOODED COAT REDO

New Hood/Sleeves & pockets

HOODED COAT REDO
 SIDE
Ya that's it.




Comments

Popular Posts