FIXING A TIGHT ELASTIC BAND
FRIDAY, AUGUST 23, 2013
They were a PERFECT FIT except for the belly band.
I purchased these pair in a medium and a large in Black.
The band on the black pair was perfect but everything else was still too big.
That's when I knew it wasn't just me, they really didn't do a good job of sizing the elastic band.
So instead of getting all huffy about it, I fixed them!
L. Elastic way to tight and seam where I could open
R.B. Side seam were I could also open up.
R.T. I opened up the back side instead to make it more discreet and cut through the elastic.
I also un-stitched both side seams so the elastic could stretch up into the front.
I then stretched the elastic in the front as much as I could,
which means the elastic from the back moved closer to the front
and left a 4in. gap in the back.
I then pinned the sides and sewed those seams.
|Before 1 seam /After 3 seams|
I then sewed the ends of the elastic to the blue fabric (now a 4" gap between the elastic)
and then resewed the center seam, void of elastic.
Basically I gave myself a 4" allowance.
My tummy thanks me.
|Before & After-sides reversed & lighted differently|
You can tell in the left photo that the elastic is smooth & tight.
In the right photo you can see that the back pocket area has some leeway
and ripple for stretching.
I'll have to fix my black jeans at some point,
but I'll get to those when I actually need them.