REDO #21 GREY SWEATER

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 4:56pm
 WOW...we have had some crazy weather for this time of year!

I'm a tad late in posting but with good reason lol.  My "usual" day is Sunday but we came home after church, had lunch, relaxed and then headed off to my pal A.C.'s party!
Enjoyed the Memorial day with my family; hope you did too. 
Tuesday I got to volunteer at our church's private school(Mon. is my regular day)....and Wednesday I woke up feeling like poo. Stomach flu got me & the hubby. lol What a miserable day, when 1 parent is sick its enough but when both are sprawled out on the couch, feeling nauseous  weak, etc ...no bueno! 
 Thank the Lord we are almost perfect today! So today is the day:)

 I picked up this sweater recently at the Goodwill Outlet
Ok, if you are BARELY getting used to thrifting or are very picky about where you shop.....this is NOT the place for you lol. Its a totally different way of shopping but worth it when you find a "treasure". 



 The outlet is set up with massive bins of clothes & misc items, no hangers, no nice aisles, no color/size coordination, just tons of stuff. I recommend wearing gloves. 
Don't get me wrong, its clean, well lit, air conditioned but not set up like a store which means the items ARE NOT WASHED. They may have been at one time in their thrift journey but not by this point.  Its sold by weight @$1.39 a lb. and I believe no tax.

So after the great finds I purchased for my family and I, this was about $1.00. The sweater was in great condition, it had a few fuzzies I removed and needed to be taken in. Also, there were no pockets so I wanted to add some.  This is my 2ND Pocket creation!!!


 SWEATER $1.00

BEFORE: The sweater is great as is but a little big. I wanted to take in the width of the body and on the sleeves. AND...attempt to make pockets.


I began with the sleeves, sewing a new seam 2in in from the bottom and working all the way up through sleeves. Eventually the body too, which took about 1/4 -1/2 off.


I made a regular (#6) stitch and an #8 stitch. I still haven't figured out all the stitches on my machine but I thought it safe to add extra stitching before cutting since its a sweater.

#6 is the stitch I always use and rarely venture out. The #8 seemed like it would cover more area so I used it next to the #6. I probably should have used it right over the #6. Thank goodness my grey thread was a perfect match and any mistakes are "invisible" lol

I took in 1/4-1/2 in. on the body leaving a few inches open for my pocket. I used both stitches here too.
I cut from the bottom up, next to the stitches to where the pocket would be.

I then carefully unstitched the sweater seam so not to cut through the actual sweater.


 used an old T again. Most of our old T's are cleaning rags cause they've been stained or ruined somehow. For that reason I had to use the sleeves and make do. :) I cut like a downward oval for both pockets and sewed all around except the opening.

I then turned the pockets inside out, so the nicer side would show and pinned them to sweater. I then sewed the 2 openings together

AFTER: It had been a cold weekend so I knew the sweater would be great for Sunday. I wore it over my top & jeans which I paired with my warm suede boots! I gotta say I only spent $10 at Sam's Club for them recently cause I was patient! Yahooooo :)

Side view: There's my pocket

BONUS! After I was all done sewing the pockets, I hand sewed them to the side of the sweater for 2 reasons: 1)When I close my sweater while my hands are in pockets, the sides will follow not just the pockets 2) I could leave part of the top unsewed and create an inside pocket!

Comments

Popular Posts