MAKE-DO PT. 2 & THE MACHINE GUN PREACHER!!


WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 3, 2012
I can't believe it's a new month,
 FALL
and the start of real beauty in my opinion.
It is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE!

Unfortunately, California DOES NOT look like this yet :(
found online

By the way, has anyone watched this yet?
I want to see it.

found online
Ok so this week I did some sewing.
I stood up to my lagging energy and complete exhaustion,
  (I've had unavoidable LATE nights for weeks and weeks)
 and said
'NO, YOU'RE NOT GETTING THE BEST OF ME....'
Not really, I told myself earlier bedtimes were a MUST.
It didn't work,
I'm still tired but now with a "new" item :)
 I worked on a skirt I thrifted over a month ago,
so technically didn't do any shopping and still qualifies me for:

pt.1    pt.3  pt.4  pt.5  pt.6
You know, make do or DO WITHOUT

SKIRT: Thrifted $1.98
TIGHT LONG SKIRT TO LOOSER SHORTER SKIRT
BEFORE
I loved the color, pattern and of course the large pockets!
I love me some pockets.
It was TOO small though,
 I could NOT get the zipper up all the way lol
I know it's risky but I thought I'd give it a try at making it fit.
This is my 2nd attempt at taking out a SKIRT.

R.B. I started by unstitching the back of the waist only.
It had pleats, so those would work in my favor for extra width.
After opening the back up I left it alone and dealt with the length.



L. I cut about 6" off the length
R.T. and pinned the hem
 R.C. I unstitched the panels around the waist, opening them up so that I could extend them with fabric.
R.B. I used 2 strips from the original hem, sewed the raw edges and then onto each panel.
I had to remove the button 1st
 and eventually cover the original button hole to extend each side.


TAKING OUT WIDTH

L. After the panels were extended, I folded in half, inserted the skirt between the halves, pinned with 1 pleat on both sides(too loose after all pleats gone), and sewed.
I reattached the button and
 R. made a new button hole as the original was covered to extend the panel.
Last but not least, I finished up the hem.

Tada!
It worked :)

MAKE DO CHALLENGE- SKIRT REDO
AFTER:
I wore it with my $.25 striped blouse, old thrifted necklace,
copper hoops and clearance shoes.

While I was in the cafe on Sunday, someone said to me"WHOA, you're tall!" haha
I know right?!
My 5'1" self + my 4" heels KNOWS it and we's happy
:)

MAKE DO CHALLENGE- SKIRT REDO
Look at my pockets!


I extended this necklace just like last weeks.
A pal of mine had given me a ribbon necklace with a beautiful stone,
 but it fell a while back and broke :(
The copper/brown attachment on the back is the ribbon which the stone came on.
You can find those types of necklaces almost anywhere,
and they work great for extending shorter necklaces.



Now for this gentleman


Sam Childers,
he goes by Machine Gun Preacher or MGP for short.
We got to the see the movie before his visit, which gave great insight on his ministry.

He's been called by God to help Africa.
He risks everything to save people
but mainly orphaned, abused and enslaved children.
He fights to keep them from mutilation, sex trade and becoming child soldiers.
He provides protection, shelter, food and the Word,
and strives to provide for their immediate needs 
and education/trade for the future.
He's on fire for what the Lord has called him to do
and does it with fervor and conviction.

MACHINE GUN PREACHER

We got the opportunity to have him in service this Sunday.
Nothing short of a miracle for a church our size and of limited finances.
His previous commitment fell through,
but we know it was God who orchestrated this visit.

We had a Q & A about his life, ministry and movie,
and hear of true events and those reworked by Hollywood.

Although out of respect, and to my knowledge,
 no one asked whether his childhood friend passing away was real.

MACHINE GUN PREACHER
Alter call/prayer

The service itself was great,
he spoke on his calling and the years he ran from the Lord.
He encouraged us all to seek the Lord for OUR calling
and to commit to seeking the Lord whole heartedly.
He wasn't flashy in any way or prideful.
He made it clear he's only here, alive, helping Africa because of the Lord.
He says he's 'NO HERO',
the Lord rescued him,
he's doing his best to rescue others.



He brought signed books,
one of which I am currently reading.


MACHINE GUN PREACHER

The visit would NOT be complete without
a photo of us and Sam.
We may never cross paths again.

Its not that he's famous that excites us,
  he's a restored and redeemed gentleman.
Jesus did that!
Instead of the wild and reckless life he lived,
he now lives a wild and dangerous life for the Lord,
one that not many are willing to do.
He's living out his calling and making a difference!

But you know, it got me thinking LOTS about what I could do.
I don't know that I could do Africa, I'm too chicken,
But I CAN donate money and other items.

So, my tired brain and willing heart are going to come up with something.
My little + your little= a big difference.
Won't you help?


Comments

Popular Posts