80's 2 PENCIL SKIRT REDO

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2011


I loved the colors on the skirt, reminded me of the Fall colors I adore and could not pass up the chance to work on it.
It was perfect for the cool California weather we've finally been experiencing. It seemed as if Fall (my total fav) was bypassed and went straight into winter like weather/appearance. You know...more of the dead looking leaves than the beautiful oranges, reds and purples Fall is typically characterized by. It of course was outdated, too long and TOO narrow on the waist.

SKIRT

$1.50 thrifted


BEFORE: Front had pleated opening 


      Back


               Excess fabric for front opening                               


Unstitched and removed the backing which opened up the front part of the skirt.

 I carefully lined up center seams so that I could close the front up


I cut the extra 2 inches off from the center, then took in the hip area a tiny bit, tapering in more at the bottom and cut off about 3 inches from the length.                                         

                                                                                    
 
I began to unstitch the back waist so that I could undo the pleats and extend waist.
 



I then reattached the waist to the skirt which left me short on fabric.


         I first reinforced the button hole area with leftover elastic I had.
Then I used some of the extra material to fold over/cover the elastic and sewed it all together.
I didn't want to bother making a new button hole so I found this clasp in my sewing box and attached each end to the correct sides.

AFTER: I wore with my BRAND NEW thrifted sweater ($3.74), black tank, tights, black boots and coral ring.

SIDE

As a twist/more modest option, I wore grey sheer nylons under my fishnet stockings.


Comments

Popular Posts