Sunday, February 12, 2012

LOVE MONTH #2: MISTAKE + MIRACLE= GREAT, ANGLED BLOUSE :)

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2012

The last few weeks I've found myself listening (singing) to this song over and over.
Its a song I first heard on a multi-artist CD I got back in 2010,
and even then I was listening to it quite often.
I never thought to look the guy up, I was satisfied with my CD.
(Turns out he was an AMERICAN IDOL contestant)
 Since I wanted to share, I did a little research,  found him & his song.
Take a listen.
 :)

Jason Allen Rich
"Taste and See"

Pretty nice, right?, RIGHT?
 Eh, you don't gotta agree, just humor me lol


This week I worked on another dress. I bought it over a year ago with the intent of doing a VDAY outfit (2011) but...........I chickened out due to fraying on this type of material. I know, why'd I buy it? I loved the sheerness of it, the color, the possibilities.......
it ended no where haha.

Image Detail
found online




So, I didn't even try, I gave up before starting and chose something else. Well, this year I told myself I WOULD redo it (and a few other items I'm avoiding), even if it killed me....
over exaggerating of course.

Maybe get to wear it on Vday too :)
Here goes.

DRESS- $2.00 previously thrifted.

If the heading gave you any indication of how this went, you'd be right if you assumed I messed this redo up.
 I DIIIID.
But,
I learned a thing or two, which I'll share later.



VALENTINES REDO, RED DRESS TO ANGLED BLOUSE
Vertical stripes

Totally shapeless

 

VALENTINES REDO, RED DRESS TO ANGLED BLOUSE

Oh the pains of this REDO.

FYI, my inspiration came from C&C

1. I cut the dress vertically under the bust area. I was going to be using it with the horizontal pattern.
2. I then flipped inside out, measured 7"down and 3" in from the hemmed side (bottom of dress). I marked with a pen, pinned and cut horizontally for my arm hole. I then cut all the way vertically from there to the end.
3. After cutting both sides and sewing a simple stitch before folding over raw edges and sewing again.
4. I then unstitched the neck area, opened it up and met the shoulder areas together so that I could cut out a rounded neck area. After cutting that, I unstitched the bottom which will be the opening.

VALENTINES REDO, RED DRESS TO ANGLED BLOUSE

5. HOW do you know how much to cut?  I didn't know, I goofed this up and should have used a similar blouse as a guide.
6. Pinned and ready for sewing.
7. MY MESS, a constant on my kitchen table and more so with shredding fabrics.  I had to unstitch the opening, after trying to fit my big head through it and no luck.
8. 2nd attempt much better.


But then, after dealing with the new neck, stitching and unstitching the bottom due to it being a little snug, I had to create a side opening. And restitch it. Ugh, you feeling my frustration?!
Oh and don't mind all the fraying and "hundred"s of threads from my machine getting continually jammmmmmmmed.


VALENTINES REDO, RED DRESS TO ANGLED BLOUSE
Ps, the slant was already there due to it being the original bottom half of the dress
AFTER:
1st REDO attempt

I tried it on and it wasn't fitting right (snug in the chest area).
I was so tired of fighting with it for 2 days. 2 DAYS!
I basically accepted it was what it was, I'd wear it as is on Sunday and pass on to someone much smaller.
All my effort just to have a mediocre result :/

So I went to bed and let it go.

to be continued......

The next day, I couldn't stop thinking about how I'd just messed this up.
 How difficult it had been to get it to a decent place with all the thread stitching, jamming, unstitching, fraying mess.

I didn't sit well with me that I was basically going to settle. *
So I got the nerve to try again.
My hubby probably thought I was crazy, as I had just ranted to him the day before, how difficult this had been LOL.

Hi, my name is Crazy


I went back and forth trying to figure out WHAT I was going to do and then with what fabric.
I needed to add some width.
Hmm........LIGHTBULB!
God totally reminded me of the lining the dress had come with.
It was red, stretchy and perfect.

9.  I cut 2 strips 3" wide and as long as the blouse.
10. I then sewed the edges.
11. I did the dreaded thing once again, unstitched the sides and pit areas so that I could attach the strips.
12. After pinning the sides and pits, I stitched it all back again....with more jamming, unstitching and stitching.




On a side note, while taking a break from cleaning up all of my mess, I turned on my camera and happen to see this!
Its nothing big, but I loved how the chandelier's reflection was on my phone.
Had to take a pic :)



ANGLED BLOUSE

FINALLY, an actual AFTER photo.
I wore the blouse with a 3/4 sleeved turquoise shirt, black jacket (old, thrifted), black wooden necklace/earrings (flea market $1), cheetah bangle, turquoise bracelet (gift from sis), red/silver ring, skinnies and black flats


ANGLED BLOUSE
Without the jacket


SIDE/stripe



JEWELRY




*It hit me like a splash of cold water to the face.
God doesn't want me to settle, to feel defeated, quit and accept the powerless feeling I was feeling. Yes, its just clothes but at that moment it was more, a lesson I had just learned!
It was so clear.
My "aha" moment came when something rose up in me and said "NO" I'm not giving up.
Thank you Lord!

My mistake + the miracle of Godly insight =
this redo :)




No comments:

Post a Comment