INDUSTRIAL TYPEWRITER CART to RUSTED DESK: PT 2

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2013



As promised, part 2 to the cart/desk makeover.
Chair post will follow soon.

This was a much a quicker redo on the desk as:
1. I had very little to do with it lol
2. Hubby did the majority of the work.
So I get some a tiny bit of the credit for this little addition ;)



RUSTED DESK, DESK WITH SHELF, DESK WITH WEATHERED LOOK, RUSTED DESK, TYPEWRITER CART



Here's a reminder of where I started with this cart/desk


and an AFTER shot of the new paint job

RUSTED DESK, DESK WITH SHELF, DESK WITH WEATHERED LOOK, RUSTED DESK, TYPEWRITER CART

The computer tower and cords were beneath the desk 
but on a temporary shelf as hubby had not secured it.

I think he initially thought the weight of the tower
would be sufficient to stabilize the shelf.
 BUT the tower got tipped over a few times while the kids were sitting in front of the computer.
Purely accidental of course and then a monster for them to try and level it on the shelf.
ERR.
That's when I TOLD , asked hubby, out of frustration, to secure it after I painted it.
Of course he agreed.

Unfortunately, we didn't have anymore old fencing
and had to use a different piece.

Thanks to all the HGTV shows we've watched in the past
(we were addicted there for while)
and American Restoration most recently,
that I remembered what I'd seen them do to age wood.

I know there's other methods but on the fly this is what I remembered!

I don't have a torch which is what they typically use,
this candle lighter was my solution hahaha.

You literally just hold the flame up against the wood until the you get some darkened areas
and the knots/ridges appear.

It was my first time, so no judging.
At least its not as new looking.

At first I was a little disappointed that I didn't have 2 identical pieces
but I actually like the 2 tones now.

Once I was done hubby got to HIS part.
He had a bit of hard time securing the boards with the screws
as he could not find the bits for metal.

I'm not sure how he did it but he did
and I'm super thrilled with his help and the look.

RUSTED DESK, DESK WITH SHELF, DESK WITH WEATHERED LOOK, RUSTED DESK, TYPEWRITER CART

AFTER!


Once more,
the top and front view




What do you think!?


COST:
$0- had the old wood

Comments

Popular Posts