INDUSTRIAL TYPEWRITER CART to RUSTED DESK: 3 LOOKS PT1 ~ racing room redo #3

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2013


I'm excited to share the desk redo
for my son's RACING ROOM makeover!

There's lots of photos, 
3 looks,
 different steps to achieve them 
and an addition to it.
 So, I'm breaking it down into 2 posts
with a 3rd one following for the chairs.



Industrial typewriter cart, typewriter cart redo, rusted typewriter cart, diy rust, home decor, rusted desk





Here's a before look.


I mentioned before that I had painted this YEARS ago before my kiddos were born.
It was for our spare/storage room which had a jungle theme.

Although I wasn't as crafty then, I tried when possible to change stuff around.
It use to be an ugly tan color,
much like this one.
here

It was something my mom had given me back when I was in high school/college,
 so I'd have a place of my own to do my homework.
I loved it.

It's pretty awesome my kids get to use it now for that same purpose!

Since I wanted to do something with a rusted/weathered look in his room,
(like this AWESOME storage unit)
the typewriter cart was my best bet.

I searched and searched for months and found Vivienne of the V SPOT

Although I didn't get the look I wanted from the above photo
or even get her method entirely right, heehee
I'm pretty satisfied with what I got.

And I'm happy that my son LOVES IT !



I removed the paperwork and computer on it
then wiped it down.

As per Vivienne's instructions, I got my spray paints and salt.
I used Rust-oleum Satin Slate Blue and a hammered Copper color.

I sprinkled the salt where I wanted to keep the black
and then proceeded to spray carefully over the whole thing in the blue.

THIS is where I "messed up".
Had I been patient and researched the method again,
I would have known to add MORE salt and add the Copper color 1st THEN the blue. 

But I didn't, in my typical, GUNG-HO reaction.

Once that dried, I used an old paint brush, a green scrubber and some sand paper,
to remove the salted areas.
Again, since I didn't follow instructions it was a little more work to remove the
salted areas.
Then I tipped over on each side and repeated with the salt & paint.
GOAL?
To get a weathered look which included keeping some of the black/cream underneath.


Industrial typewriter cart, typewriter cart redo, rusted typewriter cart, diy rust, home decor, rusted desk

Depending on what you're going for, this could work as is.

For what I was working towards though, this was just the first step.
This time I added a ton more of salt right over the black/cream areas,
extending it out into the blue.
I wanted to make sure those colors showed through after removing the salt.
I followed the previous steps after spraying the Copper color.





I really liked this look but something seemed to be missing.
There wasn't enough red/rust in it or variance/depth in color.
WHAT TO DO?



I definitely wasn't going to buy more paint.
So I just pulled out my craft paints- red, black and yellow.
I literally just rubbed some on with my fingers experimenting with the mix,
letting it sit for a few seconds and wiping off with an old rag.

It gave it a more dated look.
The colors weren't as vibrant once I painted with the craft paint.

I wasn't sure how it would hold up since craft paint tends to be washable
but since I'd scuffed up the cart enough, it took really well.

Here's all the 3 looks!



This was a totally fun redo,
a little time consuming but that's about it.

TOTAL COST:  $13.80
Rust-oleum Painters Touch- Slate Blue x2= $6.80+tx.
Rust-oleum Stops Rust- Hammered Copper= $5.98+tx.
Salt- already had
Craft paints- already had
Brush, scrubber & sandpaper- already had


I'll get to the 2nd part and 3rd part of  the cart/desk soon!




Photobucket


Comments

Popular Posts