DIY HIGH LOW SKIRT: FRIEND FIX

Hiya friends!
I hope your week has been good so far.

I think I'm getting the hang of the school schedule
and actually doing better than expected.

Putting myself on a daily schedule has truly helped.
I know what to do, when to do it and feel accomplished when I finish!
It's really given me some clarity  sanity.

Why I waited so long is beyond me.

//////////

Anyway, this past Friday I attended my 3rd wedding of the year!
That's right 3rd.
Pretty sure it's the last for a long while too.
No one I know is courting, dating, engaged or even looking.
Well a few are looking,
the others are waiting on God lol.

diy high low skirt, fixing skirt length

Both M.S. and myself were scrambling to find something to wear.
It's not like we didn't know the wedding was coming up,
I think we both just got caught up in other things.

So there we are a week before,
 she asks if I'd help her take up the length on her newly gifted skirt
 and tweak it a bit.



I said, "Sure, as long as I can use you." lol
You know for the blog. 

She was all up for it until I said she had to let me photograph her.
She's not use to being in front of the camera, typically behind it.
I assured her she'd approve any and all photos.

You can check them out at the very end :)

Here's how it all came to be.

M.S. LOVES daisies, so she was excited to wear her new skirt.
The only issue was the length. Since I was already going to chop it,
she asked if I could add a high-low section as well.

So I quickly searched out how to do it, correctly,
and came up with my own version.
I don't claim it to be easier,
just how my brain understood it lol

Please don't let my explanation deter you.
It really wasn't hard.
*To remove length*
otherwise skip to next photo
1. Line up the seams and pin so fabric doesn't shift. 
(top photo just for reference, I didn't pin waist to bottom)
2. Fold over the front/back to opposite side 
and once again creating a narrow piece. Pin  bottom.
This is so you don't have to cut across a super long piece. 
3. I removed about 2 in.
Make sure you cut with ENOUGH to make corrections and a new hem.
Unfold and correct any mistakes.

Lay fabric out, seams still aligned
Curve formula

1. FROM the waist measure down to "high" area (front of skirt/dress),
best to try on. ADD 1 in. for hem & pin/mark it.
                      We were at church when she handed me the skirt, so no time for measurements.
She put it against herself and I measured with the length of my hand 
down to where she wanted it.
2. Curve formula
-to get an evenly placed curve/slope-
measure from "high" down to hem/cut area,
divide that # by 3.
IE. 22 in. ÷  3 in. = 7 in.

3. Pin directly across from "high", right on seam. 
-That is your starting point for measuring out the curve-

4. Now measure down from there 2/3 of the way, pin.
 IE. 7 in. x 2 in. = 14 in.
-That is your midway point for the curve-

I used regular chalk to mark my curve but a chalk pencil would have been easier.
GOTTA get one.
5. Start from the "high" and create a very W I D E, backwards"S",
going through the midway point and extending it towards the back.


My curve wasn't so perfect hahaha
It could have used a bit more cutting on the lower right.
It actually created more of a peak at the bottom which you'll see later on.

1. Now, PIN, PIN, PIN!
I wanted to make sure I had matching hems,
 so I alternated sides as I pinned and folded over often to make sure they were even.
2. Sewing new hem!

THAT'S IT!

Can you see the peak?
Front of high low skirt

Back

Side

////////////////////

And here she is in all her glory.
Beautiful right?!





What do you think?

////////////////////

What did I end up wearing?
That's up next.
It's something that needed tweaking too.
:)

Comments

Popular Posts