REDO #25 PAISLEY DRESS REMAKE

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2011

This week I worked HARD and LONG on a dress that was totally 80's!
It was brand new with the tag still on from a store that no longer exists lol. The most time consuming part was the collar. I wore the dress on my date night with the hubby!

1. Dress $1.89 +tx

80'S DRESS REDO
 BEFORE: Big shouldered dress with "bell" sleeves! I like the soft colors and pattern ONLY...everything else had to go.


80'S DRESS REDO
Close up

Montgomery Wards

I started by removing the collar which I'll hopefully use in the future somehow and the shoulder pads.

I folded the dress in half and started to cut the collar

I then laid it flat and started folding over the new collar adding pleats in the front and pinning down.

Back view- back side originally had a slit and button closure.

Front view- Everything is pinned and ready for sewing. It doesn't show yet but I eventually sewed the back slit together.

I turned the dress inside out and sewed a little bit from both sides starting at the arm pits and going all the way down to the elastic waist but not sewing into it. I then started back up from the other side of the elastic, (so not to make the waist tighter only the sides) all the way down the length.

80'S DRESS REDO
Then I turned back out the right way, played with the sleeves and decided to tuck them into themselves. Its a little hard to explain but basically I made ruffled sleeves.

80'S DRESS REDO
I pinned and got those ready for sewing too.

I turned it inside out, again lol and sewed small vertical seams across the elastic (opposite direction of elastic), using the existing seams which ran from the waist/pelvic area down the length of the dress as guides. 
Then I unstitched the middle between those 2 new stitches exposing the elastic which I cut out. The 2 stitches serve to hold the rest of the elastic in place and opening the front up.
 This also would take care of the huge overlapping of fabric on the waist. I then pinned and sewed this area back up.

After I finished sewing the collar back together, including the slit in the back and sleeves, I worked on the length. I removed 7 in, pinned and sewed.

Before
After
AFTER: What do you think? MUCH better and totally cute! There's no more "bell" sleeves, lace or slouchy waist.

80'S DRESS REDO

 DATE NITE
We finally celebrating our 13th anniversary as a couple. We loved hanging out as a family on our anniversary back in Aug. but had to do it right!
 It was a great evening :)
We went to dinner at a little Mexican restaurant before going to a local showing of
 THE KING AND I



80'S DRESS REDO
Close up- Pleated collar & necklace

 I'll probably take in the collar a bit cause its kind of loose. 
The dress had shades of light grey, dark grey, peach and lavender. 
I wore with my pewter hoops & new pewter PEACOCK NECKLACE! $1 at our local flea market, love the price.
 Even though there wasn't any brown, I didn't want to be too matchy, so I wore my dark wood bangle and my "new" old navy wedges thrifted for $6.98. A little more than I would have liked to pay but too cute & in great condition, to pass up.

Side

Sleeves!

////////////////////

Comments

Popular Posts